extra support for your patients
We offer participants free and confidential telephone-based advice. Our health coaches will support participants to make lifestyle changes regarding:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical activity
- Alcohol Reduction
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
Through regular contact, advice and coaching, participants can achieve a healthier, more physically active lifestyle.
The Get Healthy Service has two streams, Information Only and a 6 month coaching program, allowing participants to pick what's right for them. In addition to the standard service, we offer 4 tailored programs.
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention
- Alcohol Reduction
Systematic reviews have confirmed that telephone-based interventions are effective in:
- increasing physical activity
- improving nutrition
- reducing weight
Interventions have been effective in the short to medium term (3 – 6 months), across different populations, in a range of settings, and using different modalities.
Launched in February 2009 as part of New South Wales’ response to the Australian Better Health Initiative, the Get Healthy Service now runs under the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health. Advice is consistent with the National Physical Activity Guidelines and the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating.
Access a range of promotion resources that can be downloaded, printed and ordered in bulk.
Significant investment is made into the ongoing evaluation and quality improvement of the Get Healthy Service. Take a closer look at our participant outcomes.
Start a healthy discussion
One in two Australians are overweight. Obesity predisposes people to developing a range of chronic diseases including:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cardiovascular Disease
- High blood pressure
- Sleep Apnoea
- Gall Bladder Disease
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Some cancers
Why refer to the Get Healthy Service? Referring your patients to the Get Healthy Service has numerous benefits, including:
- Improved outcomes that complement patient care;
- Visible contribution in reducing the health care burden in Australia;
- Healthier community with better chronic disease management;
- Focus on prevention & early intervention;
- Easy access & referral systems in place; and
- Effective evidence-based, high quality primary prevention.
WHAT THE SERVICE OFFERS
- Their own personal health coach
- 10 free coaching calls*
- Support to make changes over 6 months
- An information booklet that provides additional information to support participants to achieve their goals
- A coaching journal to record goals and actions
- Access to a website where participants can track their goals and progress
*Participants on the Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Program or Aboriginal Prgram receive 13 free calls.
To be eligible for the Service, the participant must be:
- Over the age of 16 years and
- Be a resident of New South Wales, South Australia, or Queensland.
To ensure that the participant is suitable for the ongoing coaching component of the Service, a number of screening and assessment questions are asked. This screening and assessment process asks about:
- Any recent hospitalisations,
- Chronic conditions,
- Illnesses relating to the heart, lungs or brain,
- Physical conditions, including pregnancy,
- Mental health considerations and
- Special dietary considerations.
If these questions highlight any potential risks, the participant is referred to their General Practitioner to obtain medical clearance prior to taking part in the program.
REFERRAL FORM – General practitioners
Some participants will require a medical clearance to participate in the Service. As a General Practitioner, you may be asked to determine whether your patient is:
- Suitable for the Service.
- Suitable for the Service with some considerations.
- Not suitable for the Service.
You are encouraged to refer any patient you think would benefit from the Get Healthy Service. Simply complete a General Practitioner Referral Form and email or fax it to the Get Healthy Service (see contact details on the form).
Medical Director and Best Practice templates of these referral forms have been developed and may be found on your medical software.
With the participant’s permission, you will be kept informed of your patient’s progress with the provision of reports from the Service at three and six months.
REFERRAL FORMS – Health Professionals
A Health Professional Referral Form for the Get Healthy Service is also available for Health Professionals. Simply complete the form and send it to us by fax or email (see contact details on form).
Medical clearance may be obtained on these forms from a Medical Practitioner or Registered Nurse.
CONTACTING THE SERVICE
Phone: 1300 806 258
Fax: 1300 013 242